Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Favorite Shampoo

Well, I'm now feeling brave enough to share with the world my favorite shampoo and conditioner. Maybe you'll be surprised. Here it is:

Yup. Seriously. That's it. I'd read on some blogs about going "no 'poo" and I was intrigued by the idea. Actually, I really liked the thought of not needing to wash my hair every day. The women I'd read about said that they could go a few days without needing wash their hair. Since my mornings can get crazy, I really liked the idea of being able to get dressed in the morning without looking disgusting. At this point, I can go every other day without washing my hair. I love it.

Why would I want to do this? Or why should anyone want to do this? There are a couple of reasons. The first one has everything to do with all of the chemicals that are in shampoo and conditioner. Really all cleaning products. Personally, I am trying to avoid anything that requires a chemistry degree to understand. Plus other women have written about this very topic much better than I ever could. Here is one: http://simplemom.net/. She also follows the same method of washing that I do. This blog goes more specifically into some of the chemicals that are used: http://www.naturemoms.com/. You could do a google search on this topic and come up with more blogs than you have time to read. I'm just giving you a couple to get you started.

The second reason has to do with cost. Even if you want to stay away from most of the nasty chemicals and use commercial hair products, you will spend an arm and a leg on those products. And with the way the economy is looking these days, who can do that? Baking soda is pretty much the same no matter what brand you get, so I usually just get the generic at less than 50 cents a box. The conditioner is apple cider vinegar, and that is pretty cheap too. Just make sure you get a larger bottle. I haven't yet figured out how far a box of baking soda will go with me, because I have a couple of other uses for it in the bathroom. Bottom line: it's cheaper and better for you.

Disclaimer time: I understand that this may not work for everyone. If you decide to try it, give it some time to work. Your hair has been stripped of oils for years. It's going to take some time for your body to get back in balance. Also, you may have to play with the amounts of baking soda and vinegar that you use. I need a little more; you may need a little less. When I first started going no 'poo, I did have to wash my hair every day. I wasn't able to go every other day right out of the gates. And now you know.





This is all you need in the bathroom. I use the blue squeeze bottles to apply the baking soda and apple cider vinegar. In one I put 1.5 tablespoons of baking soda and add enough water to equal 8 ounces. Since my hair is so short now, I've been playing with the amount of water I use. I tend to use a little less now. I put the same amount of apple cider vinegar in the other bottle and add enough water to equal 8 ounces. When you add the water, make sure it's warm enough but not too hot. You don't want to pour cold water on your head (unless you like to), and you don't want to scald yourself in the shower. Also, make sure you shake the baking soda well to dissolve it. Most blogs will tell you to use 1 tablespoon of each to start. I did that and found that a little extra worked better for my hair. Like I said, it's a learning curve, and you just have to learn what works best for you.

Oh, one more thing about mixing the baking soda and vinegar. Don't think you're going to get away with mixing the baking soda and vinegar to save time. If you've ever done a volcano project, you know why. I had tinkered with the idea at first but quickly came to my senses about it. Base and acid cancel each other out. 

Once you're in the shower and ready to go, pour the baking soda mixture onto the roots of your hair. With your fingertips, massage the baking soda in. Let it sit for a minute or two and rinse. Then pour the apple cider vinegar mixture onto the ends of your hair. Do the best you can. Let that sit for a minute or two and rinse.

And that really is it. It's pretty simple. I've been doing this for about 5 months. Maybe a little more? I've been pleased with the results. Want to join me and try? Are you already doing this or something similar? Let me know! I'd love to know I'm not the only one!

1 comment:

ashley_north said...

LOL! That's fantastic, I love it. I'm one of those people with dry, thick hair, so I can actually get away with not washing my hair for an entire week. But I use really expensive, salon quality shampoo...I know, I know....BAD! I completely agree, but we all have our shortcomings....My sister is a hair stylist which means
i get a super discount on hair products and dyes and styling soooo....The temptation is too hard to resist! Maybe if I ever move away I'll give baking soda and vinegar a try.:) Have you ever tried baking soda on your face as a sort of microdermabrasion?? Just wet your face and rub the baking soda on for three minutes. I also thoroughly enjoy using AC vinegar and cold green tea as a toner and coconut oil as face lotion right before bed.
Great post!